Welcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!
DAY 12 : Breastfeeding Tips for success!
These are my 10 tips for success!
(I can't be the only one who thinks 'nips for success')
1. Do not take anyone's advice, before talking to lactation a specialist. Not your mother, grandmother, sister, pediatrician, or local blogger ;-) If you are having trouble go to a lactation specialist. This is a good site for finding a IBLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant)
2. Wait for your milk. Your milk will come, so try to relax and wait. Don't let people pressure you into using bottles, and artificial nipples.
With my first baby I was so stressed wondering when I would get milk. My baby wouldn't stay latched on without it, and my mom was pushing water and formula. It was really stressful, and we were at home! Finally on the second night I felt my milk dripping down my chest, I was so happy I let my little guy know by dripping milk onto his lips and he latched right on without even opening his eyes.
3. Breastfeed on demand. This will help build your supply and ensure your baby is eating enough. Babys know when it's dinner time. Also try to avoid pacifiers, they can negatively affect your supply, and baby's latch.
4. Co-sleep. This wasn't always my plan. We had the crib but I have been extremely happy with it. It would be so disruptive to have to get up and find my baby to feed them, then separate from them again afterwards. Also both my babies, when young fed almost all night so being able to lay there and sleep while they did it was a sleep-saver!
5. Sleep Topless. Another sleep saving suggestion. If you have a leaking supply, just lay down a soft towel.
6. Stay hydrated. Keep a few full water bottles throughout the house. If you have a helper around ask them to be on water watch and keep the bottles full for you.
7. Keep snacks easy and healthy. I love avocado, crackers, nuts, nut butters, fruit, & nori (roasted seaweed).
8. Get a baby carrier! There are lots of different styles, try some out at a local babywearing group, LLL, or baby store. Once you know the kind you prefer you could also try making it yourself.
9. Brush off all the unwanted advice.
Do your best. Sometimes I react with more grace than other times. You never know when that relative will be coming back to you telling you how much they've learned about breastfeeding and how great they think it is now.
10. Find a support group. Either online or in person there are lots out there. Find one you like and make some friends that will support you with your breastfeeding goals.
Here are more post by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.
- Katy Rank Lev @ Mommy News and Views-Tips to Succeed: What I Wish I'd Known
- Claire @ The Adventures of Lactating Girl-Creating Your Support System
- Christine @ Momzelle-My Most Helpful Breastfeeding Tip
- Angelina @ dizzyrat-Breastfeeding: Tips for success!
- Hailey @ Birth Utah-Tips for Breastfeeding Success
- Krystyna @ Sweet Pea Births-5 Tips for Mama Learning About Breastfeeding
- And of course the guest poster on the Breastfeeding Cafe’s blog today is Lexy Sauvé-Stick It Out