Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Home.



breastfeedingcafecarnival

Welcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!

 DAY 9 : The Partner's Role

  This post was written as part of the Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is about your partner's role in breastfeeding. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 22nd through August 4th!  


I think I owe a lot to Dave. When I read things about how much a partner's support (or lack there of) affects breastfeeding, I think about how unwavering he has been in supporting me breastfeeding our children.

I don't remember when we "decided" on breastfeeding. I think it was always part of the understood plan that we made while I was still pregnant.

I vaguely remember some of our early talks while flipping through the many natural childbirth books we'd checked out from the library. Trying to prepare and figure out what kind of parents we'd be.

After the birth, it quickly became a fact of our lives.

Dave took the first photo of me breastfeeding our son for the the first time.

Sometimes I feel like the success has been all mine, and certainly I have put forth a great amount of effort day and night to breastfeed our two children over the last three years. Never taking even one day off. I'm not going to be shy about my commitment but sometimes I over look the strength Dave has been for me.

He's always done the little helpful things for me. Bringing  glasses of water, running hot baths after long nights, massages, and encouraging smiles, but it is his friendship that I am most grateful for.

Some of the greatest struggles I have had on this journey involve the scorn and judgement of other people. In a culture so turned around that its people shame women who breastfeed, I am grateful to have such an understanding person beside me.

He is my best friend and my home. We are partners.





Here are more post by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

No comments: