Tuesday, April 30, 2013

No noodle soup

This is a soup I've been making for years now, its very tasty and a meal I always try to make when someone around me isn't feeling well. It is a healing soup.


I've used tofu, beans, rice, and quinoa all of which have been very tasty. I've also used roasted garlic, which was tasty, but I prefer the spicy flavor of fresh garlic.

2 heads garlic
2 heads shallots (or a med. onion)
2 quarts vegetable stock
several sprigs of fresh parsley
5-7 celery stalks
10-12 small to medium carrots

              either
 2-3 cups cooked garbanzo (chicks peas) beans
                or
2 blocks extra firm tofu
cubed and sautéed (with olive oil and soy sauce)
            and/or
1 cup quinoa (cooked and measured dry)
            and/or
1 cup rice (cooked and measured dry)

Directions:

Start the soup with about 1/3 cup olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pot heated on a medium setting. Sauté the garlic and shallots (or onions) for 5 min until translucent but not browned.

Add diced celery and sauté for another 5 min.

Add stock and turn heat up to medium high.

Add carrots and bring the soup to a simmering boil. Allow to cook this way for about 10-15min or until desired tenderness is achieved. Remove from heat.

Add beans/tofu/rice.

Add freshly chopped parsley, (salt and pepper if you wish) and serve warm : )

~UPDATE~ 8-26-13

I made a batch this last weekend with brown rice. Then I diced some fresh heirloom tomatoes from our garden and added them to each bowl. I swear this soup just keeps getting better and better!



No comments: