Wednesday, February 20, 2013

At the breast after the toddler years.

Recently my child turned 3 years old, and to the surprise of some he is still being breastfed. Honestly it gave me some pause too. I mean he's fully talking, he knows all his shapes, colors, numbers & letter sounds! Actually I'm pretty sure he'll be reading before he'll be ready to wean.

When he was born I made what is referred to in feeding circles as a 'breastfeeding goal' which was to breastfeed until my son weaned himself. I had heard that it was less traumatic, that it was healthy, and it made a lot of sense to me to wait until he was ready to stop.

So that was the goal.

We didn't hit many bumps in the road during the early months. I had a great supply and he had a great latch. It was breastfeeding bliss.

When he started walking and talking I don't remember being bothered or thinking it was weird. Although the people around me sure did, and they didn't just keep their mouths shut and mind their own business either.   > : - /

It's funny. We've gone from infant to baby, from baby to toddler, made it through a pregnancy, tandem feedings with his brother, and now from toddler to preschooler. He is certainly growing up. And this time it's hitting me how big he is. It is weird!   

The reasons why he breastfeeds vary from hunger to comfort. and sometimes maybe he's just bored.

hahaha but its not putting me off my goal. Sometimes when you get where you planned on going things look differently than you had imagined....and that doesn't make it an unpleasant place to be. I know that the only reason I perceive this completely normal and natural process as odd is because of the culture I've grown up in. But cultures change, and I've always been ahead of the curve.

I like it here.

Occasionally I look at my oldest child and he seems so big at other times he seems incredibly young....either way though it doesn't really matter because I know he'll wean when he's ready and I trust him to do that.

 xx