Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Broccoli cheese soup

I made this for dinner last night. It was very good and an excellent use for those broccoli stems that I'd been saving.


Ingredients:

1 quart frozen broccoli stems
(peeled and diced)

1 quart vegetable stock

4 oz. cheddar cheese (grated)

3 cups Yukon gold potatoes
(~ 10 small potatoes)

1/2 cup whole milk

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

1 small onion ~ 1/2 cup

2 small cloves garlic

Instructions:

Peel and dice potatoes

I keep my broccoli stems each time I use broccoli now -thanks for the tip Barbara!
I just peel the thick fibrous part off , dice and put in a zipper bag in the freezer.
The soup would have been nice with some florets too
but as we are in the middle of a blizzard
I went ahead and skipped that idea.
steam the broccoli and potatoes for about 15min
stirring every 5 min


Peel & dice the onions and garlic
sauté the onion and garlic in the butter for a few minutes 
add the flour and whisk it together

slowly whisk in the stock and then the milk.
Simmer the soup for 15-20min on med-low
until the soup has thickened

add your cheese and stir until melted.
simmer an additional 10-15 minutes
until the cheese is well incorporated.

add your broccoli and potatoes

 
I topped it with crushed pepper and fresh Parmesan.
served with fresh french rolls : )

Enjoy!
 

No comments: